Buffalo chicken pizza is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me. Oh, and marrying my wife, Patty too. When my friends and I order pizza out we don’t even speak about it—it’s just mutually understood that we’re getting “buff chick.”
Now I really prefer homemade buffalo chicken pizza. In my opinion, it’s perfect in every way because it’s so easy to make with simple ingredients. There’s nothing on there that shouldn’t be. Let’s keep the blue cheese on the side, people.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
I keep buffalo chicken pizza simple. Grilled (or crispy) chicken, fresh mozzarella, red onions, and buffalo sauce. I started experimenting with fresh sliced mozzarella and I really like the result. It’s fresh and feels fancier.
Top dough with a thin layer of buffalo sauce, followed by sliced mozzarella, grilled chicken, and red onion. It’s the perfect gourmet buffalo chicken pizza. The chicken must be fully cooked before you bake it.
Buffalo sauce replaces any form of tomato or red sauce. If you find a nice mild buffalo sauce (I like Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce) it won’t create an inferno in your mouth. If you don’t have any buffalo sauce on hand you can make your own by adding melted butter into regular hot sauce.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce with Hot Sauce
1/2 cup medium spiciness hot sauce with 1/4 cup melted butter should do the trick. It’s pretty amazing.
How to Use a Pizza Stone
I cook all of my pizzas using a pizza stone. I heat the stone up for one hour in the oven at 500° F before baking. Slide the pizza in using a well-floured pizza peel and bake for 10-15 minutes for the perfect finish every time. You can read more about this method and how to make better pizza at home here.
More Buffalo Chicken RecipesPrint
Buffalo chicken pizza made with grilled (or crispy) chicken, fresh mozzarella, red onions, and buffalo sauce.
- 18–20 ounces pizza dough
- 1 8 ounce chicken breast cut into bite sized cubes
- 6–7 1/4 inch slices fresh mozzarella ball (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup flour (for crust)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 500° F and place the pizza stone in the oven and let preheat for one hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite sized cubes and cook on medium heat in a small saucepan. fully cook and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of buffalo sauce until lightly covered and set aside.
- Roll out the dough into a 12 inch crust. Sprinkle evenly with a little salt.
- Place a small handful of flour onto the pizza peel and spread evenly to prevent the dough from sticking to the pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough onto the peel. Evenly coat with buffalo sauce leaving a ½ inch crust. Add the chicken, fresh mozzarella and finish with sliced red onion.
- Slide finished pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Be sure to carefully watch the oven because all ovens will cook at different rates. Sometimes it will only take 10 minutes to fully cook.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and serve.
Keywords: buffalo chicken pizza