Grilled and marinated beef skewers made with flank steak have long been a family favorite. As some of you may know, my family travels to the Outer Banks in North Carolina every year for vacation. It’s a week full of the beach, waves, and lots of food.
We grill on the beach every day, so we’ve tried just about every grill-able food you can think of. Burgers, tuna, salmon, shrimp skewers, hot dogs, cherrystone clams, kielbasa, chicken, the list goes on. We cook grilled teriyaki beef skewers every year and they are gone not long after they’ve been taken off the grill.
Grilled beef skewers are essentially a thinly sliced flank or skirt steak you can eat right off the stick. These skewers are as flavorful as a perfectly marinated steak tip, thanks to my homemade beer-based teriyaki marinade. Since the meat is sliced so thinly, they cook in about 5 minutes.
The Best Homemade Teriyaki Marinade Ever
It’s all about the marinade. The beer teriyaki marinade is a simple marinade I came up with a few years ago. It calls for: Beer (I like to use a hazy, tropical IPA), lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika, and red pepper flakes. It’s flavorful, zesty, juicy, sweet, and subtly smokey all at once.
Soak Wooden Skewers
If you’re using wooden skewers, always soak in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent from burning too much. Serve skewers drizzled with plenty of chimichurri sauce and extra on the side. I guarantee you’ll be scraping the bottom of the chimichurri bowl by the end of the meal.
How to Prep the Flank Steak
Flank and skirt steak tend to be very flavorful, yet tougher cuts of meat due to the dense muscle fibers. You will notice the steak has a very defined grain running through it. If you slice against the grain, the meat will break apart much easier. Slicing strips with the grain will force you to bite through these tough fibers.
This recipe requires you to cut the flank steak BEFORE marinating and grilling. Be sure to let the sliced flank steak marinate in the marinade for about 24 hours if possible. This will tenderize and add more flavor to the steak. If using wooden skewers, let soak for 30 minutes before grilling to avoid burning.
That’s it, easy to make, even easier to eat, and perfect for your next backyard (or beach) BBQ.
More Grilled Skewers
- Chicken and pineapple skewers
- Chicken chimichurri skewers
- Grilled lemon pepper kebabs
- Pesto shrimp skewers
- Chicken satay skewers with Thai peanut sauce
My favorite app ever. Marinated flank steak skewers prepared in a homemade teriyaki marinade with a hazy New England Style IPA.
- 1 pound flank steak
- Wooden skewers
flank steak marinade
- 1/2 cup beer (Hazy New England IPA or pale ale)
- 1 lemon, juice squeezed
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the steak on a cutting board and find the natural graining running lengthwise through the steak. Cut the steak into 1/4 inch thick slices AGAINST the grain. This is to ensure the steak is tender and easy to bite. If you slice with the grain, the meat will be much tougher to bite through.
- Whisk marinade ingredients in a bowl until combined. Place the steak strips and marinade in a large ziplock bag. Let marinade overnight or for 24 hours if desired.
- Let wooden skewers soak in water for roughly 30 minutes before grilling. This will prevent skewers from burning. Skewer two slices of steak on each skewer. Grill for roughly 3-4 minutes per side on medium-high heat for medium. Serve immediately.
A pound of flank steak makes about 10 skewers with two strips each on each skewer. This serves as a good light app for 4-5 people.
Oil will emulsify in the refrigerator. This is OK. It will return to liquid state if left on counter 30 minutes before skewering steak strips.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 452mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 5.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 13.3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Flank steak skewers, beef skewers