This creamy mushroom pasta is a delicious meatless pasta dish with mushrooms, shallots, garlic, cream, white wine, and parmesan cheese. Despite the cream-based sauce, the dish is surprisingly light yet flavorful. The cream lends really nice texture without being overly rich and filling. In my opinion, it’s just the right balance.
If you’ve made my creamy linguine with white wine, butter, and mussels then this recipe is absolutely for you! The base is very similar but even simpler to pull together. You can almost use the two recipes interchangeably depending on your preference.
Best Mushrooms for Pasta
This recipe can be made with any type of mushroom. That being said, some mushrooms have richer flavor that will give the dish more complexity. The good news is, sauteeing the mushrooms in oil will help enhance the subtle flavors and add more character. This step is really important to ensure the right flavor and texture.
Look for shiitake, baby bella, chanterelle, oyster, or white mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms are great for stirfrying as they are probably the most flavorful choice along with baby bella. white mushrooms will be the mildest with very subtle flavors.
Deglazing With White Wine or Chicken Broth
I love adding white wine to creamy and buttery pasta dishes because it adds really subtle fruity notes. Look for a dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. If you don’t have wine or prefer not to add it, you can use low sodium chicken broth as a substitute. The other purpose of the wine/broth in this recipe is to deglaze the pan and incorporate all of the caramelized bits that stick to the bottom of the pan.
You’ll Also Love
- Creamy tuscan chicken and pasta
- Creamy chicken carbonara
- Pappardelle pasta with creamy truffle oil
- Chicken broccoli ziti
- Mussels and linguine with garlic butter
A simple and delicious creamy mushroom pasta made with mushrooms, shallots, garlic, cream, white wine, and parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound linguine
- 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced (shiitake, baby bella, chanterelle, white, or oyster are good)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium heat in a dutch oven or large pan. Add shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Season all over with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add white wine, let it sizzle for a minute. Add cream and bring to a simmer until slightly thickened. About 3 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Add pasta and mix until fully coated in the creamy sauce. If the sauce feels too thick, add reserved pasta water as needed. Top with fresh parsley and serve with extra grated parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 549
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 405mg
- Fat: 19.7g
- Saturated Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 69.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 19.6g
- Cholesterol: 136mg