Patty and I have been into a lot of ‘bowl’ type dinners lately. Usually a mix of marinated chicken or beef with veggies, fresh herbs, and something citrusy over rice or quinoa. It’s a complete meal with lots of fresh flavors—and seems to be a trendy entree these days.
Sure, you could eat a plate of rice, broccoli and chicken on their own, but mixed together with a delicious sauce is ten times as good. Sweet and spicy chicken is just that.
Sweet and spicy chicken and broccoli bowls are an Asian-inspired dinner that may remind you of orange sesame chicken or General Tso’s chicken. It’s a much healthier, non-fried alternative made with a honey, lime, garlic and sriracha sauce. Instead of steamed broccoli, I prefer roasted broccoli tossed in coconut oil, giving it a subtle coconut flavor.
It’s the perfect complementary vegetable to a zesty, tropical chicken. The jasmine rice and broccoli will soak up some of the sweet and spicy sauce—it’s just so good.
This is a great recipe to tweak and add in new things. You could substitute cauliflower or brussel sprouts, use brown rice or quinoa, or add in avocado, shredded cabbage or even some cilantro. The options are really endless— it’s really all about the sauce and fresh, REAL ingredients.Print
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
sweet & spicy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2–3 teaspoons sriracha (add more if you’d like it more spicy)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice squeezed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Whisk together all sweet and spicy sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Toss broccoli florets in coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add rice, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes until soft.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat in a medium sized pan. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden and fully cooked though, about 10 minutes. Add the sweet and spicy sauce and bring back to a gentle simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens and fully coats the chicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve rice in bowls topped with chicken and broccoli. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve with lime wedges.