Ok, these brownies are AMAZING. My mother introduced me to dark chocolate brownies with peanut butter cups, I have no idea how she came up with them, but they’ve become a family favorite.
Dark chocolate brownies are stupidly easy to make and the end result is to die for. Shawn fondly refers to these little devils as “crack brownies.” They are absolutely addicting…I think “crack brownies” may have been a major reason Shawn asked me to marry him. Just kidding! I think…
I love this recipe because it is so incredibly easy and they are always a huge crowd pleaser. Is there a better combination than sea salt and dark chocolate? Whenever I bring these to a party it seems like they are gone in a flash and everyone wants to know how to make them. So here it is!
It’s as simple as following the directions on the brownie mix box, plopping peanut butter cups on top, smoothing out the melted chocolate, sprinkling with a little sea salt, and chilling for a few hours—that’s it! See the drool-worthy photos below! 😉
- 1 box of Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 16 dark chocolate peanut butter cups (miniatures - not the super tiny ones)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Follow the directions on the back of the brownie mix box and bake brownies as directed. For this recipe, use an 8x8 baking pan or oven-safe dish.
- While brownies are baking, unwrap the 16 peanut butter cups and set aside.
- As soon as brownies are done (toothpick comes back clean - though I don't mind if they are a little gooey), remove from oven and place on stove top.
- Immediately place peanut butter cups on top of brownies in four rows of four - larger surface of peanut butter cup facing down.
- Once the chocoalate starts to melt (3-4 minutes), take a spoon and smooth the melted chocolate around so that it is evenly dispersed over the brownies.
- Allow to cool for fifteen minutes then transfer to refrigerator for at least one hour.