It’s a hot summer evening and let’s face it, no one feels like cooking indoors. In fact, it’s sacrilegious to not spend as much time outside as possible. Grilling pizza is probably not something people even consider, however it’s been a staple in our family for years! And I guarantee it will be some of the best pizza you’ve ever had.
Grilled pizza creates a crust unlike anything you could produce in an oven or on a pizza stone for that matter. Ultra crispy, grilled crust with the perfect soft center. Plus, it’s the easiest prep and cleanup in terms of pizza.
How to grill the Perfect Pizza
The method is a little different than your typical pizza process. You start by actually grilling one side of the crust before flipping, seasoning, and adding any toppings. This gives you perfectly even crust as you can basically grill both sides very quickly, producing a nice crispy exterior.
My favorite kind of pizza is brick oven pizza that almost has a slight sear with that wood fired charred flavor—something you simply can’t produce in an oven (say goodbye to mediocre, soggy crust). Pair this perfect crust with my absolute favorite classic margherita pizza recipe, made with fresh basil and fresh sliced mozzarella. Trust me, simpler is always better when it comes to pizza.
There you have it, one more excuse to crack a beer, enjoy the nice weather, and fire up the grill.Print
- 18-20 ounces pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 6-7 1/4 inch slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Garlic powder, for crust (optional)
- Oregano, for crust (optional)
- Olive oil, for grill grates
- Preheat grill to medium heat, about 350 to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a large rectangle or oval. This is the best shape for grilling.
- Clean the grates well and brush with olive oil using a basting brush. Transfer dough to the grill (remember, no toppings yet) and cook for 5-7 minutes with the lid closed, or until bottom of crust is golden brown. Pierce any air bubbles that form with a fork.
- Flip the crust with a pizza peel or large spatula. Evenly coat crust with pizza sauce leaving a 1/2 inch crust. Add the fresh sliced mozzarella and then top with fresh chopped basil.
- Close the lid and grill for another 5 minutes-7 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
- Remove from the grill, let cool, and slice.
This recipe is ideal for moderately crispy, yet soft crust. If you prefer pizza crust softer, grill for less time.
If you don’t have olive oil, cooking spray or any oil will do.