Cornbread is the best excuse to eat cake alongside your dinner. Maple bourbon cornbread is sweetened with maple syrup and boozed up with a splash of bourbon! This cornbread recipe has subtle maple and bourbon flavor. Think of your typical cornbread recipe with a little more caramel and richer flavor.
I love making skillet cornbread because it’s very easy to make and absolutely delicious. Making cornbread in a cast iron skillet is even better in terms of presentation and delivers classic southern vibes.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Buttermilk makes for better cornbread. It tastes better and it’s moister than using whole or skim milk.
- You can use butter or oil for the fat. Oil tends to make the cornbread more tender and cakey. Butter yields a solid result that was moist enough without being sticky or too crumbly. I probably prefer oil.
- Do not overmix the dry and wet ingredients together. Do not whisk out the lumps. This adds a nice texture.
- I used 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. For me, this is the sweet spot for tasty cornbread with a nice balance of sweetness.
- I usually use 1.5-2 tablespoons of bourbon. This adds a subtle bourbon essence, I wouldn’t use more than 3 tablespoons unless you want to breathe pure gasoline. A dark spiced rum would be really interesting too.
- Topping cornbread with honey and butter turns it into dessert. Seriously.
Maple bourbon cornbread is sweetened with maple syrup and boozed up with a splash of bourbon
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable/canola oil
- 1.5–2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until thouroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, maple syrup, melted butter, bourbon, and egg.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined/moistened, do not over-mix, and do not whisk out the lumps!
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with soft butter and honey.
Can also use an 8×8 square or 9-inch round baking pan.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 125mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: skillet cornbread, cornbread recipe, maple bourbon cornbread