Pumpkin pie has been a Thanksgiving obsession of mine for as long as I can remember. I’m OBSESSED. Thanksgiving is NOT Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. It’s non-negotiable in my eyes.
If I know pumpkin pie won’t be wherever I’m celebrating stuffing my face, I’ll bring it myself. It’s that important to me. Could I skip the entire meal and only eat pumpkin pie? Probably. Well…maybe not the stuffing.
Rich pumpkin on a soft crust with a dollop of delicious whipped cream. There’s no other way. Now, I make my recipe exactly as my mom has always made it (yes it’s nostalgic for me), but my only special twist is I make my pumpkin pie in a cast iron skillet. Because this is my blog and I do everything in a cast iron skillet.
How to Make Skillet Pumpkin Pie
For most pies, you’ll need to use an 8-10 inch skillet. Anything larger and your pie will be too thin. Your pie crust won’t extend all the way up the walls of the skillet, shoot for about 2 inches up the side of the skillet from the bottom, including the pinched crust.
Grease the skillet well with cooking spray, lay the crust, and crimp the edges using your thumb and index finger. Fill with pumpkin filling and bake.
P.S. Don’t forget to save yourself (or me) an extra slice for breakfast. This is the best part.Print
My mother’s ‘famous’ recipe for skillet pumpkin pie, made in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 can (15 ounces) 100% Pure Pumpkin (I use LIBBY’S)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 10 inch unbaked pie crust
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin purée and sugar-spiced mixture. Slowly stir in evaporated milk.
- Line a greased 8-10 inch cast iron skillet with a pie crust, crimping the outer edges at the top with your thumb and index finger. Pour in pie mixture.
- Bake at 425° F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F, bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool on stove top for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.
Keywords: pumpkin pie recipe, skillet pumpkin pie
Recipe credit: LIBBY’S Famous Pumpkin Pie.