Despite being a refreshing fizzy classic, I don’t think the Moscow mule is quite as popular as it should be. The classic Moscow mule is made with lime, vodka, and ginger beer. It’s perfect for any occasion that demands a sweet gingery kick. The tequila mule is simply a Moscow mule made with tequila in place of vodka. In my opinion, it’s way better thanks to tequila’s abundance of character.
Despite the name, the Moscow mule is an American-born cocktail created by John Martin in 1941 in Manhattan, NY (I know…I’m just as blown away as you are).
Tequila Mule Ingredients
- Ginger beer: Ginger beer has a very strong and almost spicy ginger flavor. Believe it or not, there are two types of ginger beer: one is a non-alcoholic soda stocked at most grocery stores, and the other is actually a hard soda with alcohol. Crabbie’s is popular if you want a more potent cocktail. You can use either one.
- Fresh lime juice: I always squeeze fresh lime juice when possible because it tastes the best. As a backup, I always have Realime 100% Lime Juice in the fridge (not an ad, I just love the stuff).
- Tequila or vodka is you must…
- Garnish: Mint leaves, lime wheel, candied ginger: These items are optional but add great aroma and subtle flavor. I love mint, but it’s totally optional with a tequila mule.
Do I Really Need A Copper Mug?
No. But they do make for better presentation and actually serve a purpose. The copper insulates the drink and keeps your mules surprisingly chilled for much longer than glass. Copper mugs are inexpensive and can be purchased just about everywhere. Always hand wash for longevity.
You’ll Also LovePrint
The tequila mule is simply a Moscow mule made with tequila in place of vodka. In my opinion, it’s way better thanks to tequila’s abundance of character.
- 4 ounces ginger beer (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
- 2 ounces tequila (vodka for classic variation)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- Mint leaves, lime wedge, or candied ginger garnish
- Pour lime juice and tequila into a copper mug and fill with ice. Top with ginger beer and stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves if desired.
Ginger beer comes in two forms. One is a non-alcoholic soda stocked at most grocery stores, and the other is actually a hard soda with alcohol. Crabbie’s is a popular spiked option if you want a more potent cocktail. You can use either one however non-alcoholic ginger beer is easier to find.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make a moscow mule with tequila, tequila mule recipe