Crispy honey mustard chicken was inspired by a salmon dish we make A LOT. Salmon covered in honey dijon mustard and breaded with panko crumbs (check it out…I wish I thought of it first). You’d be surprised how well honey dijon mustard pairs with salmon. So why not try the same process with the more popular duo?
Chicken and honey mustard are a match made in heaven. Who doesn’t love crispy fried chicken dipped in honey mustard? The best part is this chicken is baked for a healthier alternative, without sacrificing the crunch or the flavor. The panko crumbs create a light and crunchy coating. It’s better than traditional breadcrumbs because they don’t become over saturated and create a better crunch in the oven. You could use premade honey mustard however I combine equal parts dijon mustard and honey. If you like it sweeter use extra honey.
One more important tip. Use thinly sliced chicken, chicken tenders, or cut a larger chicken breast in half lengthwise and flatten with a rolling pin. You want to prepare the chicken how you would for chicken parmesan. If your chicken is too thick it will cook too slowly and get rubbery….and nasty. That was my first shot and complete miss.
- 2 8 ounce chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Orange wedge, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise and flatten with a rolling pin (you can also use chicken tenders or thinly sliced chicken breast). ½ inch thick chicken is ideal.
- Combine panko crumbs, parsley, and olive oil in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer to a flat dish or plate and set aside.
- Combine honey, dijon mustard, and garlic in a small bowl and mix well. Using a basting brush, heavily coat the chicken in honey mustard sauce, both top and bottom.
- Dredge the coated chicken in the panko crumbs until completely covered.
- Bake at 450° degrees for 15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Garnish with orange wedge.