Crispy baked honey buffalo wings are sweet, spicy, and ready for game day. Better yet, these wings will please both teams—slightly spicy, but sweet enough to serve as a mild buffalo wing.
This past summer, my good friend’s dad challenged me to come up with the perfect honey buffalo wing sauce. We were down on the beach in the Outer Banks in North Carolina on a family vacation when the inspiration for this recipe came to be. We actually ended up throwing together a makeshift batch right on the beach.
Honey Buffalo Sauce For Wings
A spicy, but sweet buffalo sauce with lots of flavor in a sauce that is thick enough to stick to the wing and not leave you with a sad, thin coated, and bland wing. The secret: Nearly equal parts honey and buffalo sauce, plus a handful of my favorite seasonings.
- Buffalo sauce
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Corn starch—the thickening agent
Now, the real secret lies in thickening/simmering the sauce on the stovetop with corn starch so it really sticks to the wings. The honey will naturally thicken the sauce when heating, but the cornstarch will give it even more consistency.
How to Bake Wings in the Oven
Roasting chicken wings in the oven is just like roasting any other cut of chicken in the oven. Roasting it best because it crisps the skin nicely as it cooks. Simply bake wings on a large baking sheet at 400° F for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
If you roast the wings on a cooling rack stacked on top of a baking sheet, it will crisp the skin even more, since the fat can drip down off the wings. It’s not necessary, but a preference. Alternatively, you can do a flash broil at the very end.
Coating the Wings in Sauce Last
Toss the fully cooked wings and liberally coat in simmering honey buffalo sauce just before serving. Adding the wing sauce last prevents the juices from running off in the oven, leaving you with those much-desired sticky wings.
Moral of the story, to do honey buffalo wings right, it’s best suited for your kitchen, however, I wouldn’t be against cooking up some wing sauce in my cast iron skillet on the grill. After all, cast iron can weather the elements.Print
Honey buffalo wings are equal parts sweet and spicy. Baked in the oven until crispy and tossed in homemade honey and buffalo sauce.
- 36 chicken wings
- salt and pepper to taste
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Season chicken wings with salt and pepper and bake for 40-45 minutes until fully cooked through and skin starts to slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, in the last 10-15 minutes, combine all honey buffalo sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until fully mixed.
- In a large saucepan or skillet on medium heat, bring the sauce to a low simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the fully cooked wings, a few at a time, to the skillet and coat in the honey buffalo sauce, flipping until fully coated. Serve immediately.
Keywords: buffalo wings, honey buffalo wings, how to bake wings