My skillet buffalo chicken dip comes together in about 30 minutes and is an absolute gameday staple. Shredded rotisserie chicken, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, blue cheese, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and a little ranch dressing all come together to make a rich and creamy dip.
On game day, you’ll find me hovering over this dip, stuffing my face while fending off others as they try to take it from me. ALL MINE. It’s addictive, the perfect balance of spicy and cheesiness, and goes really well with tortilla chips, pretzel chips, bagel chips, or celery. Yes, everyone’s new favorite dip.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
My buffalo chicken dip is really easy. I combine all ingredients in a skillet, mix until thick and creamy, and bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is fully melted. Here are a few tips for better dip:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken works really well because it’s convenient and super tender. You can, of course, boil and shred your own chicken if you prefer. Usually, a 2-pound rotisserie chicken is enough for this recipe.
- Room temp and cubed cream cheese spread easily and evenly.
- You can mix and match cheeses. Colby Jack or Pepper Jack work well too.
- Use at least 1/2 a cup of buffalo sauce. This is enough to taste like buffalo without being overly hot. Any less and it may taste bland. You can use 3/4 cup if you prefer it hotter.
- Double the recipe if intending to make in a 12-inch skillet for larger crews. Pictured is a 10-inch skillet.
How to Shred Chicken
Place fully cooked chicken on a cutting board and use two forks to pull the chicken into stringy thin strips. I use my fingers to pull apart larger pieces. It’s best to have finely shredded chicken. This will spread throughout the buffalo dip really well and not leave any weird chunks. After it’s baked, you may not even realize there is chicken in it.
Buffalo Sauce Versus Hot Sauce
Make sure you get buffalo sauce and not regular hot sauce. Buffalo sauce is more orange in color and is the same sauce used to make buffalo wings. I really like Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing sauce. Fun fact, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter to regular Frank’s RedHot to transform it into buffalo sauce.
Do I need A Skillet?
No, any oven-safe pan will do. Just mix ingredients in a bowl and bake in an oven-safe dish. Cast iron is nice because it retains heat out of the oven and keeps the dip warm for longer.
Can I Make Ahead of Time?
Yes, combine everything in the skillet, mix and store in the fridge covered with foil. Remove foil and bake at your destination.
You’ll Also Like
- Buffalo chicken rangoons
- Honey buffalo wings
- Buffalo chicken mac and cheese
- Buffalo chicken calzone
- Buffalo chicken pizza
Cheesy, creamy buffalo chicken dip is ready for gameday. An easy skillet dip that’s ready in about 30 minutes and devoured in about 5.
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Tortilla chips, bagel chips, pretzel chips for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine all ingredients in a cast iron skillet (ungreased). Mix until fully incorporated and reaches a thick creamy texture. Evenly spread throughout the skillet using a spoon or rubber spatula and sprinkle with additional cheddar, mozzarella, and blue cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with green onions if desired and serve hot with chips, pretzels, or veggies.
You can make with shredded chicken breast if you prefer. Rottisure chicken just saves a lot of time and it really tender. It’s best if chicken is very finely shredded. You will most likely need about 2 chicken breasts.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 386
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 557mg
- Fat: 28.8g
- Saturated Fat: 14.3g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 27.8g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
Keywords: buffalo chicken dip, easy buffalo chicken dip