From start to finish, garlic butter steelhead trout (or salmon), cooked in foil is the easiest recipe in the world. I’ve most likely claimed this before on this blog, but I swear this is really the one. Patty and I picked up some steelhead trout at the grocery store for something a little different. Steelhead trout is very similar to salmon in appearance, however steelhead trout tends to be little stronger in flavor.
We weren’t planning anything special for dinner on this random Tuesday night. This recipe was actually a last minute, on the spot, no measure, “wing it” masterpiece. I decided to make this in aluminum foil because I wasn’t really in the mood for cooking or cleaning. We’ve made salmon in aluminum foil in the past, but never trout. I had lemon, butter, and garlic in the fridge—an easy winning combo. Patty finally chimed in with “OH, you should take a picture of this!” And that’s how we find ourselves here.
I think the ingredients speak for themselves. Can ingredients speak? The lemon will give your trout a perfect zesty fresh finish, while the butter and garlic will do exactly what butter and garlic always do. Create awesomeness out of nothing.
The cook in foil method is incredibly easy because there is minimal cleanup. I’m talking done in 25 minutes easy. Drizzle trout with lemon, melted butter combined with fresh minced garlic, season with salt and pepper, seal in an aluminum foil packet and bake for 15 minutes. But most of all, my favorite part is the cleanup—roll up the foil, place in trash, grab yourself a beer because you just successfully threw your dishes away for the evening. That’s always a win in my book, gourmet taste without the gourmet effort.
- 1 lb steelhead trout filet, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ a lemon, squeezed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and place the trout filet in the center. Fold up all 4 sides of the foil. Season trout with salt and pepper and then squeeze juice from half a lemon over the fish until covered.
- Melt butter in microwave safe bowl, stir in fresh minced garlic, and drizzle over the trout until evenly coated. Top with fresh minced parsley.
- Fold the sides of the foil over the trout, covering completely, and seal into a closed packet. Place directly on oven rack and bake until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.