Bourbon glazed salmon is a really simple and delicious salmon recipe served coated in a sweet and sticky bourbon sauce. This Asian-inspired recipe comes together in about 15 minutes from start to finish. Picture pan-seared salmon topped with a citrusy orange sauce, sweetened with honey and the natural sugars found in bourbon.
Not a bourbon lover? Neither is the wife, but she’s a true believer in how flavorful this date-night worthy dish is.
Bourbon Marinade for Salmon
The beautiful thing about this marinade is it doesn’t actually require the salmon to be marinated at all. The sauce instantly thickens and carmelizes in about a minute in a warm skillet, rendering a sticky glaze that coats your salmon with so much flavor.
The sauce is made with orange juice (I use store-bought, but freshly squeezed works too), honey, bourbon, soy sauce, ground ginger, garlic, olive oil, and an optional dash of sriracha. Simply add the sauce to the skillet once the salmon is fully cooked and simmer until it thickens to a perfect sticky glaze. You can spoon the sauce over the salmon and serve immediately—it’s that easy.
Is Pan Searing Salmon Difficult?
NO! Salmon cooks in a pan or skillet on the stovetop really quickly and easily. Simply sear each side in a little oil on medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side for medium doneness. You’ll get a perfect exterior sear and tender inside. Better yet, you can heat your glaze right in the same skillet for easier cleanup. If you like salmon on the rarer side, sear for 2 minutes per side.
How Much Bourbon Should I Use?
I would suggest 1-2 tablespoons of bourbon. This makes for a very crowd-pleasing ratio. The orange and honey does a really good job balancing out any strong bourbon flavors, leaving you with nice, sweet bourbon notes.
Any bourbon should work in this recipe since we’re using so little. I don’t feel bad about using nicer bourbon if that’s all I have on hand, plus I’m usually drinking some anyway. Here’s what would work well for this recipe:
- Buffalo Trace
- Maker’s Mark
- Elijah Craig
- Woodford Reserve
- Knob Creek
No bourbon on hand? Rye whiskey will work too, just don’t use Scotch, the flavor profile just doesn’t fit.
This recipe is best served over jasmine rice. I like to serve it up and hit the entire plate with a little lemon zest. Serve with extra lemon wedges. You’ll be amazed how well the salty, sweet, and citrusy flavors all come together.
More Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
- Grilled cedar plank salmon
- Salmon piccata
- Salmon with creamy avocado sauce
- Grilled salmon with basil butter
- Sesame ginger salmon in foil
- Blackened salmon with cilantro lime butter
- Cilantro lime salmon in foil
Bourbon glazed salmon is a really simple and delicious salmon recipe served with a sticky and sweet orange, honey and bourbon-based sauce.
- 4 salmon filets, skin removed (6–8 ounces per peice)
- 1 lemon (for garnish and optional lemon zest)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Honey bourbon glaze
- 1/4 cup orange juice (I use store bought OJ)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1–2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of sriracha
- Combine glaze in a small bowl. Whisk until honey fully dissolves into the sauce. Set aside. Season both sides of each salmon filet with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan or skillet on medium heat. Once hot, sear salmon filets for 3-4 minutes, flip and sear for 3-4 more minutes. If you prefer salmon more rare, sear for 2 minutes per side.
- Turn the heat down to low and pour the sauce into the skillet. Let bubble and simmer until sauce thickens into a syrupy glaze, about 1 minute. Remove pan from the heat and spoon glaze over each salmon filet until fully coated. Zest with lemon and serve with lemon wedges over jasmine rice or with veggies.
The sauce has very mild bourbon flavor. Use 1 tablespoon if cautious, 2 if you love bourbon. You can always taste test the marinade before adding.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 401mg
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 44.8g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
Keywords: honey bourbon salmon, bourbon glazed salmon, glazed salmon recipe