This simple baked cod recipe is brushed with chipotle mayonnaise and coated with crushed Triscuits. The chipotle adds a creamy texture and so much chipotle flavor and also acts as the perfect binder for the cracker crumbs.
While any cracker will do the trick, Triscuits are extra crunchy and won’t get soggy. Cod doesn’t have much flavor so it really benefits from seasoning and some extra crunchy texture. This is a simple and well-balanced recipe that satisfies a craving for crispy, delicious white fish without the heavy calories from deep frying.
Dredging in Mayo, Greek Yogurt, or Sour Cream
While chipotle mayo is my favorite and most flavorful binding agent, regular/light mayo, sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt can be substituted. Usually, whisked egg is used as a medium for breading chicken or fish, however, I’ve found thicker substances like yogurt or sour cream work better when it comes to baking.
I used cracked pepper and olive oil-flavored Triscuits for this recipe, which is a solid seasoned breadcrumb mix to start with. From there I seasoned it with garlic powder and olive oil for flavor and a golden finish. There is a handful of different Triscuiot flavors that would work really well in this recipe. Dill would also be a solid pairing with fish. If you can’t find flavored or seasoned Triscuits, plain or original work just as well.
How to Bake Cod
Bake cod in the oven at 425°F for about 20 minutes or until flakey. A good test for when cod is done is when it’s white (no longer translucent) and easily flakes and breaks apart when pulled with a fork. Cod is dense when raw, and flakes apart really easily once it’s cooked. The breading will also help keep the fish intact.
You’ll Also LovePrint
Baked cod in a crispy coating made with crushed Triscuits and chipotle mayonnaise.
- 1 large cod or haddock filet, approx 1-1 1/2 pounds, cut into 2–3 filets
- 15 Triscuit crackers, crushed (I used cracked pepper and olive oil flavored)
- 1/4 cup chipotle mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Triscuits into a plastic bag and mash with a rolling pin until finely crushed (use a food processor or blender if available). Place in a small bowl and toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Pour breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Using a basting brush or spoon, lightly coat all sides of each filet in mayonnaise and then dredge in Triscuit breading, covering completely.
- Lay breaded filets onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack. Serve sprinkled with finely chopped parsley, a lemon wedge, and lemon zest.
This recipe can be made with haddock or cod. Works well with mayo, light mayo, or Greek yogurt.
- Serving Size: About 1/2 lb piece of fish
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 606mg
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 21.7g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
Keywords: baked cod recipes, haddock recipes, triscuit cod