One particular cocktail that will forever take me back to Italy is the Aperol spritz—a refreshing concoction made with prosecco, Aperol, and sparkling water. This easy-sipping summertime aperitivo will take you straight to the beaches of Positano. Ciao, prego, prego!
The Aperol spritz has a rich history dating back to the early 20th century in northern Italy. Created by the Barbieri brothers, the founders of the Aperol brand, it was originally intended as an aperitif—a pre-dinner drink to stimulate the appetite. Its fame spread across Italy and eventually found its way onto the international cocktail scene.
Aperol Spritz Ingredients
The beauty of the Aperol Spritz lies in its simplicity. Crafted with just three key ingredients, it’s a cocktail that can easily be prepared at home or enjoyed at your favorite bar. I’ve listed the ingredients in order of volume. The 3 parts, 2 parts, 1 part ratio is very easy to remember!
- Prosecco: Known for its effervescence and fruity profile, Prosecco is an Italian sparkling wine that adds much-needed fizz to the Aperol Spritz. Its crisp and light character complements the bitter-sweetness of Aperol, resulting in a harmonious combination.
- Aperol: A bright orange-hued Italian liqueur, Aperol is at the forefront of this cocktail. It boasts a unique blend of bitter and sweet flavors, with notes of orange, herbs, and spices. The lower alcohol content makes it perfect for leisurely sipping on hot summer days.
- Sparkling Water: The addition of sparkling water dilutes the intensity of the Aperol and Prosecco while enhancing the drink’s overall liveliness. It also contributes to the cocktail’s light and thirst-quenching nature.
While the classic Aperol Spritz recipe is a classic, you can always experiment and personalize the drink to suit your taste. You can adjust the ratios of ingredients to create a stronger or lighter version according to your preference. Some variations include using different citrus fruits for garnish, such as grapefruit or blood orange, to add a twist of tanginess.
You’ll Also LovePrint
Aperol Spritz Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Cocktail
- Cuisine: Italian
A classic and simple refreshing Italian aperitivo cocktail. The Aperol spritz is made with prosecco, Aperol, and sparkling water.
- 3 ounces Prosecco
- 2 ounces Aperol
- 1 ounce sparkling water
- Orange slice, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a wine glass with ice. Stir and garnish with half an orange slice.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 5mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.9g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: aperol spritz recipe, aperol spritz ingredients
Just returned from my 1st trip to Italy and I fell in love with the aperol spritz! Already bought the prosecco and aperol so I can make them now that we’re home!
I love this cocktail! I enjoy it with your homemade pizza. Someday I will get to Italy but for now, I will enjoy this drink!