I love sweet potato fries but let’s face it. The majority of us aren’t into the massive amounts of oil and cleanup required on your typical evening. Oven-baked sweet potato fries are healthier and really easy to make at home. Seasoned with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, these simple fries will blow you away and make you forget they aren’t deep-fried!
The real secret to homemade sweet potato fries is lots of spices. Don’t be afraid to really season up the fries for lots of flavor. Garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper is an addicting garlicky fry blend.
Tips & Tricks
- Cutting the fries as uniformly as possible will yield consistently cooked fries. Cut fries into roughly 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick strips and toss in a bowl with olive oil and seasoning to fully coat. I usually leave the skin on but you can peel the potatoes if you prefer.
- Bake for 25 minutes and add more time as needed. Always flip fries halfway through so one side does not burn. Sweet potato fries are more forgiving due to their high sugar and moisture content, however, they can still burn quickly if overcooked.
- Most oven fries will continue to crisp up after they’re taken out of the oven. Sweet potato fries benefit from a 5-minute rest period before serving.
- You can also make this recipe in your air fryer. I recommend air frying at 400°F for 18-22 minutes or until fries reach the desired level of crispiness. Always toss the fries 2-3 times during the cooking process to ensure even cooking.
- Cajun seasoning or a little old bay are fantastic substitutes for the seasoning in the recipe.
You’ll Also Love
- Parmesan truffle fries
- Fried pickles
- Sweet potato breakfast boats
- Sweet potato breakfast hash
- Sweet potato gnocchi
Simple, hand-cut homemade sweet potato fries seasoned with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into restaurant-style fries. About 1/4-1/2 inch thick (no need to remove the skin if you don’t want to).
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine sweet potatoes fries, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix until all fries are fully seasoned.
- Spread onto a greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
You can also make this recipe in your air fryer! I recommend air frying at 400°F for 18-22 minutes or until fries reach the desired level of crispiness. Remember to always toss the fries 2-3 times during the cooking process to ensure even cooking.
- Serving Size: About 15 fries
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 71mg
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 19.4g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries, how to bake sweet potato fries