Have you ever had a Bohemian cocktail? Most of you probably haven’t, but it’s a classic cocktail that consists of gin, fresh grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and Peychaud’s bitters. Up until this past Summer I hadn’t heard of it either. My twist incorporates an optional foamy eggwhite head.
I’ve always been intrigued by egg white foam in cocktails. It wasn’t until I tried it in a San Francisco bar, that I realized how much character it introduces to a cocktail. It adds zero flavor to the drink but adds a very unique frothy and velvety texture to any cocktail. It’s also very easy to make.
Eggwhites In Cocktails?
Let’s talk more about the elderflower foam. Elderflower foam is the combination of egg whites shaken with elderflower liqueur. This adds a hint of elderflower flavor to the foamy head. I’ve made egg white foam with freshly cracked egg whites, but I typically use pasteurized liquid egg whites sold in a carton.
The pasteurizing process kills any bacteria so it’s safe to consume raw. Liquid egg whites are also easier to deal with—picture disaster scenario fishing egg yolks and bits of eggshells out of your egg whites while your guests eagerly await your newly contaminated drink!
To make the foam, simply pour one ounce of egg white (or whole egg white) into a cocktail shaker and dry shake (no ice) for about 30 seconds until thick and foamy. Finish off your Bohemian cocktail with a classy white crown and enjoy.Print
A slight twist on a classic bohemian cocktail—gin, elderflower, and grapefruit juice with a foamy egg white head.
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce elderflower liqueur
- 3/4 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 ounce egg white (I use pasteurized liquid egg whites)
- 1/2 ounce elderflower liqueur
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a cocktail with a cup of ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Combine egg whites and elderflower liqueur in the cocktail shaker and dry shake vigorously (with no ice), for 30 seconds until egg whites are foamy. Top the Bohemian cocktail with egg white foam and serve.
Keywords: bohemian cocktail
Adapted from Boston.com