Butternut squash pasta was inspired by a dish I had out with my mom and sisters one night in Providence. For Christmas, my sister had given us all tickets to go see Cabaret together. As excited as we all were about the show, we also all love to eat and looked forward to that part of the night just as much!
The only “recipe” I had to follow was the hints I gathered from the ingredients I could see and the flavors I could taste. I put my own spin on this dish and have to say it came out quite well! I wasn’t sure what Shawn would think of this vegetarian dish, but he was definitely a fan! Next time, I think I may add a little prosciutto or bacon for a savory touch.
At the restaurant, I had a drink similar to Shawn’s French 75, but they added club soda. It doesn’t need it! For me, the only bubbles I want are from the Prosecco! I think the sweetness of the butternut squash dish pairs well with a crisp champagne based drink. All together it is an elegant meal that takes very little time to put together. Shawn told me he was “impressed,” I’ll take that compliment from the head chef in our house!Print
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 1 pound of butternut squash, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup of butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup fresh grated pecorino romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and chopped butternut squash pieces at the same time. Cook pasta until al dente; butternut squash will be done at same time, should be soft enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter until melted. Add in minced garlic, sauté until fragrant. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar stirring until evenly combined, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to sauce to taste.
- Once pasta is done ready, strain the pasta and butternut squash, add to the saucepan.
- Add pecorino romano cheese and toss completely to coat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.