I’ve always been obsessed with gnocchi. Yeah, I dream about it in my sleep. To me, it feels more authentic Italian than any other type of pasta. It’s not quite as common, but it’s easily the most delicious in my eyes. The good news is gnocchi dishes are quick and easy to make at home with pre-made gnocchi. See also, gnocchi bolognese and pesto gnocchi for a few other favs.
My simple creamy gnocchi recipe is a date-night worthy dish that takes about 25 minutes to pull together. A fancy, hearty weeknight tested dinner that features a creamy red sauce that is cheesy and delicious.
I use a basic marinara sauce with added light cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, fresh basil, white wine, and fresh mozzarella cheese to really up the ante. We’ll quickly heat up the sauce on the stove and finish by baking in the oven to get a layer of melted mozzarella.
Always Use Fresh Mozzarella over Shredded
My FAVORITE ingredient when cooking Italian recipes is FRESH mozzarella balls. They usually come vacuumed sealed in plastic and are about the size of a baseball. They melt beautifully, they’re extra creamy and taste super fresh. Fresh mozzarella is leaps and bounds above the processed shredded mozzarella you’ll find in the dairy section.
How to Cook Gnocchi
Gnocchi is incredibly easy to cook. Easier and faster than most packaged pasta, as it cooks like freshly made pasta. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook gnocchi for about 3-4 minutes, or until those tiny pillows float to the surface. Wait with the pure joy a 6 year anticipates Christmas morning on Christmas Eve. That’s how I feel every time.
Bring your fancy sauce to a simmer, toss in drained gnocchi and cream, top with mozzarella pearls, and broil until the mozzarella is fully melted and slightly golden. It’s the perfect stringy, cheesy gnocchi recipe.
More Gnocchi Recipes You’ll LovePrint
- 16 ounces marinara
- 2 pounds potato gnocchi
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup baby mozzarella balls or pearls
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and boil for 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi float to the surface.
- Meanwhile, combine marinara, garlic, chopped basil, Parmesan cheese, and white wine in a 12 inch skillet. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add cream and strained gnocchi to the skillet with the marinara. Mix until cream is fully combined and gnocchi evenly distributed. Top with baby mozzarella and place in the oven on high broil until cheese fully melts, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately!
If you cut recipe in half (only use 1 pound of gnocchi), I would still use the same amount of sauce/sauce ingredients for simplicity/ to ensure you have enough.
Keywords: Gnocchi recipes, creamy gnocchi pasta