I’ve always been obsessed with gnocchi. Yeah, I dream about it in my sleep. To me, it feels more authentic Italian than any other type of pasta. It’s not quite as common, but it’s easily the most delicious in my eyes.
Date Night Gnocchi
My simple creamy gnocchi recipe is a date-night worthy dish that takes about 25 minutes to pull together. A fancy, hearty weeknight tested dinner that features a creamy red sauce that is really cheesy and delicious.
I use a basic marinara sauce with added light cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, fresh basil, white wine, and fresh mozzarella cheese to really up the ante. We’ll quickly heat up the sauce on the stove and finish by baking in the oven to get a layer of melted mozzarella.
Always Use Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
My FAVORITE ingredient when cooking Italian recipes is FRESH mozzarella balls. They usually come vacuumed sealed in plastic wrap and are about the size of a baseball. They melt beautifully, they’re extra creamy and taste super fresh and authentic. Fresh mozzarella is leaps and bounds above the processed shredded mozzarella.
How to Cook Gnocchi
Gnocchi is incredibly easy to cook. Faster than most packaged pasta, as it cooks quickly like freshly made pasta. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook gnocchi for about 3-4 minutes, or until those tiny pillows float to the surface.
Bring your fancy sauce to a simmer, toss in drained gnocchi and cream, top with mozzarella pearls, and broil until the mozzarella is fully melted and slightly golden. It’s the perfect stringy, cheesy gnocchi recipe.
More Gnocchi Recipes You’ll LovePrint
Simple creamy gnocchi is a date-night worthy dish that takes about 25 minutes to pull together. A fancy, hearty weeknight tested dinner that is creamy, cheesy and delicious.
- 16 ounces marinara
- 2 pounds potato gnocchi
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup baby mozzarella balls or pearls
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and boil for 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi float to the surface.
- Meanwhile, combine marinara, garlic, chopped basil, Parmesan cheese, and white wine in a 12 inch skillet. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add cream and strained gnocchi to the skillet with the marinara. Mix until cream is fully combined and gnocchi evenly distributed. Top with baby mozzarella and place in the oven on high broil until cheese fully melts, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately!
If you cut recipe in half (only use 1 pound of gnocchi), I would still use the same amount of sauce/sauce ingredients for simplicity/ to ensure you have enough.
Keywords: Gnocchi recipes, creamy gnocchi pasta