The chicken parmesan calzone made its mark on my life in college. I went to Saint Anselm College in Manchester, NH. Probably unbeknownst to anyone reading this outside of New England. That aside, any student or alumni will be able to speak of their legendary calzones.
The most unique element of this calzone is the pizza-like finish. This calzone is your typical half-moon shaped calzone, but with a layer of mozzarella cheese and sauce on the outer crust. It gives the exterior an unreal cheesy, crispy texture, just like chicken parmesan.
The chicken parm calzone must be simple. Crispy chicken (I use frozen Tyson chicken tenders), pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and butter. Folded into a perfect half-moon and baked until golden brown.
As a disclaimer, the chicken MUST be fully cooked before baking your calzone. You don’t want to risk undercooked chicken. It’s much easier to manage cook times this way.
Prepping and Folding Dough
Roll the pizza dough into your typical circular pizza crust, ensuring that the dough is not too thin. 1/4 inch thick is ideal. It’s okay if it’s a little thicker around the edges. Top one half with your toppings, and fold the other half over, pinching the ends where the two halves meet, creating a perfect half-moon shape.
The Final Cheese Topping
This is not called for in your typical calzone however it’s the essential final touch for chicken parmesan. Add a thin layer of sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese to the top of the crust, giving you a pizza ON TOP of your calzone. It sounds like it may be too much, but it’s the special touch that sets this calzone apart from the rest.
Slice into thin strips and serve. Perfect for sharing at your next football party.
You’ll Also LovePrint
The only calzone recipe you’ll ever need—a chicken parm calzone filled with crispy chicken, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses.
- 16–20 ounces pizza dough
- 6–7 fully cooked crispy chicken tenders, sliced (I like Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips)
- 8 ounce bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- flour for dough
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. If using frozen chicken tenders, cook them ahead of time according to the directions on the package. Slice into smaller strips and set aside.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a 12 inch circle, like you would pizza crust.
- Choose one half, and spread 1/2 cup of pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a one inch border around the edge. Top the same half with 1 cup mozzarella cheese, all parmesan cheese, and chicken tenders.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling to the opposite edge, forming a half moon shape. Pinch the ends together to seal.
- Place calzone on a greased baking sheet and baste the top with melted butter. Use a knife to pierce three 1/2 inch slits in the top of the calzone. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the calzone from the oven and top evenly (again leaving a 1 inch crust around the edges) with 1/4 cup pizza sauce and about 1/2 a cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5-7 minutes, and slice into strips for serving.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 746mg
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrates: 38.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 20.3g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
Keywords: calzone recipe, chicken parmesan calzone