The buffalo chicken calzone is the buffalo chicken lover’s dream come true. A buffalo chicken pizza, folded in half into a perfect half-moon sandwich. When it comes to comfort food, I always seem to resort to buffalo chicken. Patty often reminds me, “Everything doesn’t have to be buffalo chicken, Shawn.”
Yes, Patty…it does.
The buffalo chicken calzone uses simple ingredients. Crispy chicken (I use frozen Tyson chicken tenders), Frank’s buffalo sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and sliced red onion. Folded into a perfect half-moon and baked in the oven brushed with butter or oil. It’s the perfect finger food, game day appetizer for a crowd, or meal for 2-3. And yes, it’s even Patty approved.
What Kind of Dough?
I use standard pizza dough for all of my calzones. Truth be told, I usually buy pre-made dough at the grocery store. The quality is usually good and it’s much easier if you are not willing to invest the time into making your own dough. You can make your own, I just haven’t settled on a homemade pizza dough I love yet. Here is a good place to start if you’re looking to make your own dough.
How to Make A Calzone
Roll the pizza dough into your typical circular pizza crust, ensuring that the dough is not too thin. 1/4 inch thick is ideal. It’s okay if it’s a little thicker around the edges. Top one half with your toppings, and fold the other half over, pinching the ends where the two halves meet, creating a perfect half-moon shape.
If you don’t have an extra set of hands to transfer the calzone from the counter to a baking sheet, I recommend you build your calzone directly on a baking sheet. Place the toppings side of the dough on a greased baking sheet with the other half hanging over the side and onto the counter. You can fold it over the top as the final step.
This is the perfect heavy app your guests will be clawing for. You’ll also really love the chicken Parmesan calzone. I recommend you make both!
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo chicken rangoons
- Buffalo chicken pizza
- Buffalo chicken mac and cheese
- Honey buffalo chicken wings
A simple and incredibly delicious buffalo chicken calzone made with crispy chicken, mozzarella cheese, and buffalo sauce.
- 16–20 ounces pizza dough
- 6–7 fully cooked crispy chicken tenders, sliced (I like Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounce bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- flour for dough
- Blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. If using frozen chicken tenders, cook them ahead of time according to the directions on the package. Slice into smaller bite-sized peices and set aside.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle, like you would pizza crust.
- Choose one half, and spread buffalo sauce over the dough, leaving a one inch border around the edge. Top the same half with chicken, red onion, and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling to the opposite edge, forming a half moon shape. Pinch the ends together to seal.
- Place calzone on a greased baking sheet and baste the entire top with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top of the calzone is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5-7 minutes, and slice into strips for serving. Serve with blue cheese.
Keywords: buffalo chicken calzone, gameday appetizers