Eggnog Holiday Cocktail Recipe
Nov 26, 2021, Updated Jan 05, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The eggnog cocktail is my official holiday drink. Eggnog was always my family’s tree decorating tradition when I was growing up as a kid. It was a HUGE deal. I still drink it every Christmas to this day. Paired with vanilla vodka or cognac and Irish cream, it’s a festive and delicious cocktail that’s perfect for the holiday season.
Table of Contents
The Best Eggnog Cocktail Recipe
The eggnog cocktail consists of chilled eggnog, Baileys or Irish cream, and vanilla vodka, sprinkled with ground cinnamon. The eggnog cocktail tastes like a creamy, frothy twist of chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. What if I’m not a huge fan of eggnog? I think you should try it anyway. The eggnog flavor is not overly present and simply adds a hint of creamy vanilla flavor. So it’s much more than just sipping on spiked eggnog.
- Eggnog: make your own or look for it in the dairy aisle with the milk and cream.
- Irish cream: adds a nice rich chocolate flavor. I like Baileys brand but others work just fine.
- Vanilla vodka: this cocktail was originally made with vanilla vodka but unflavored vodka works well too. Look for Stoli brand vanilla vodka. I also love to substitute cognac, bourbon, or spiced rum
- Cinnamon stick/ground cinnamon garnish: adds delicious cinnamon flavor and aroma. You only need a tiny pinch of cinnamon otherwise it’s overpowering.
Choose Your Base Spirit
This cocktail was originally drawn up as a vodka-based drink. Over the years, I’ve tried just about everything in place of vodka. Bourbon or cognac would be my two recommendations to supplant the vodka. If you’re still on the fence, a nice spiced or funky dark rum would be my next choice. Each spirit creates its own slight festive and flavorful variation.
Step By Step Instructions
Combine all ingredients except for the cinnamon in a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake or stir vigorously and strain into an old-fashioned glass with a large ice cube (or straight up).
Sprinkle with cinnamon and optionally garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve.
Eggnog is a rich and creamy beverage made with eggs, cream, and vanilla flavoring. It tastes similar to vanilla ice cream or vanilla pudding.
No, eggnog alone is not an alcoholic beverage unless alcohol is added.
- Chill your cocktail glass in the freezer to keep your drink cooler for longer.
- This can be served straight up in a coupe glass or served over the rocks in a double old-fashioned glass.
- Double-strain cocktails to eliminate tiny ice chips. This is even more important with cocktails served straight up.
Enjoy this recipe? If you made this cocktail, please leave a ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ star rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments!
Eggnog Holiday Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces golden eggnog
- 2 ounces Baileys
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka, cognac, bourbon, or spiced rum
- cinnamon stick/ground cinnamon garnish
- Combine all ingredients except for the cinnamon in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake or stir vigorously and strain into an old-fashioned glass with a large ice cube (or straight up).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and optionally garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.