The fingerling potato is the perfect date-night potato to serve with meat. If you’re preparing a fancy meal, such as filet mignon, lamb, or chicken, you need a classy, yet easy side. Roasted fingerling potatoes with garlic and Parmesan are sure to be a hit.
Duck Fat Potatoes
This fingerling potato recipe was actually inspired by a more complex variation of roasted potatoes. That particular recipe actually involved baking and pan-frying the potatoes in duck fat for a really crispy exterior.
The result was absolutely fantastic, but I tried to simplify the process where I could while achieving similar results. Instead, I opted for oven-roasted potatoes tossed in duck fat.
You can get duck fat on Amazon if you can’t find it in the grocery store. That may be your best bet aside from a smaller specialty grocery store with more unordinary ingredients.
How to Cook Fingerling Potatoes
Simply put, roast fingerling potatoes at 425 °F in a cast iron skillet, coated in olive oil or duck fat for 30-35 minutes or until crispy and tender. Roasting potatoes in a little extra duck fat or oil achieve a similar result to pan-frying potatoes. It’s a simple way to bake and simultaneously oven-fry potatoes.
Making Roasted Potatoes Crispier
Taking it even further, coating the potatoes in corn starch is the secret to helping create a textured and crispy exterior. First, we’ll dredge potatoes in corn starch, and then toss in oil, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to a well-oiled skillet. Roast, tossing halfway through until potatoes are golden, tender, and crispy on the outside.
Finishing with Parmesan Cheese
Once potatoes are fresh out of the oven, I sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. The end result of garlic, duck fat, and Parmesan cheese is simply amazing. Amazing.
You can add parmesan cheese before you bake the potatoes as well, this will yield a crispy, charred cheese effect. This is entirely a personal preference and up to you. I think it adds a smokey flavor and contributes to the exterior.
You’ll Also LovePrint
Simple and delicious roasted fingerling potatoes, oven-fried in duck fat with garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil or duck fat
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Cut fingerling potatoes into halves.
- In a medium bowl, combine potatoes and corn starch. Toss until potatoes are lightly coated. Add 1 tablespoon duck fat/oil, garlic, half the parsley, half of the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir and mix until potatoes are fully seasoned.
- Transfer potatoes to a cast iron skillet with an additional 2-3 tablespoons of duck fat/oil.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (tossing halfway through) or until potatoes are slightly crispy and tender on the inside. (Should be able to easily pierce with a fork). Let cool for 5 minutes, top with the remaining parmesan cheese and fresh parsley and serve.
Keywords: roasted fingerling potatoes, fingerling potatoes recipe