I can just smell the garlic and rosemary now. Roasted red potatoes with garlic and rosemary are the perfect pairing with red meat or grilled chicken. I usually prepare these guys with filet mignon or lamb lollipops.
A cast iron skillet makes this side dish an easy and delicious whip-together recipe. Season the potatoes in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, toss in a cast iron skillet and then bake for 35 minutes.
How to Cook Red Potatoes
The secret to flavorful potatoes is lots of seasoning and spices. I use a liberal coating of olive oil, extra garlic, plenty of rosemary, and salt and pepper. Cut potatoes into halves or quarters and toss in your favorite bend of oil and spices.
I prefer roasting potatoes in a cast iron skillet over a baking sheet because the skillet keeps the potatoes from falling into the oven when tossing halfway through baking. It also eliminates the use of a bowl when seasoning potatoes in olive oil. But most importantly, the cast iron gives the potatoes a nice crispy sear while baking.
Always flip potatoes halfway through. This prevents the ones on the bottom of the skillet from, burning and the top from not being crispy enough.
Garlic and rosemary is one of my favorite combinations for red meat or potatoes. And no, I’m not a typical meat and potatoes kind of guy. I like a lot of flavor.
If you think potatoes are typically bland, up the ante on the herbs and spices. I don’t think you can really overdo the seasonings. Pro tip: Experiment with flavored olive oils, it’s an easy way to infuse your potatoes with a lot of flavor. You can buy all sorts or even make your own. I plan on doing some serious rosemary infused olive oil this winter.
One last note, these potatoes are perfect the next day for making home fries or hash browns.Print
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, removed from sprig and chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Rinse the potatoes and cut into halves or quarters depending on the size.
- Combine the cut potatoes, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a cast iron skillet. Stir to fully coat in olive oil and spices.
- Distribute potatoes evenly in the skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and tender. Be sure to toss/flip potatoes after 15 minutes.