This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase a product I recommend.
Everyone loves sticky chicken wings right? My grilled honey garlic chicken wings are grilled and slathered in a homemade sweet honey garlic wing sauce. The sauce itself is Asian-inspired and is somewhat reminiscent of a garlicky orange chicken sauce. We love this recipe because it’s savory and delicious with a touch of sweetness. Grab the napkins…wings were born to be messy!
This recipe can be made with party-style wings or whole wings. I usually go with whatever I can find. If you don’t have a grill, check out the baking instructions below or in the recipe notes.
Honey Garlic Wing Sauce
The homemade honey garlic sauce is comprised of fresh-squeezed orange juice, honey, garlic, low sodium soy sauce, oil, and corn starch (thickener). The sauce must be simmered in a saucepan to thicken up into a delicious sticky sauce. If you don’t have orange juice or fresh orange, freshly squeezed lemons can be substituted. The sauce is sweet, garlicky, and citrusy all at once.
The cornstarch is really important to achieve the right consistency. Without it, the sauce will be a little too runny. Don’t skip this step—cornstarch is flavorless and works wonders.
How to Grill Chicken Wings
Grilling chicken wings is easy. They’re best cooked on medium heat while rotating in the same direction until all sides are nicely crisped and golden. When I’m cooking chicken with precious skin, I like to oil the grill’s grates with olive oil to prevent the skin from sticking and ripping off. It makes the whole process easier and cleaner. Use a digital thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reads 165°F
How to Roast Chicken Wings
If you don’t have access to a grill, you can simply bake the wings in the oven. They’re just as delicious. Roasting chicken wings is just like roasting any other cut of chicken in the oven. Simply bake wings on a large baking sheet at 400°F for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
If you roast the wings on a cooling rack stacked on top of a baking sheet, it will crisp the skin even more, since the fat can drip down off the wings. It’s not necessary, but a preference. Alternatively, you can do a flash broil at the very end.
You’ll Also Love
- Honey buffalo wings
- Sweet and spicy chicken
- Grilled jerk chicken
- Grilled tequila lime wings
- Dry rub air fryer chicken wings
- Garlic parmesan chicken wings
- Grilled honey sriracha chicken thighs
Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12–24 wings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
My grilled honey garlic chicken wings are grilled and slathered in a homemade sweet honey garlic wing sauce.
- 12–14 whole chicken wings or 24 party wings (wingette and drumette separated)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- thinly sliced green onion
Honey garlic sauce
- 1 orange, juice squeezed (1/3 cup OJ)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- For the honey garlic sauce: Heat sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the wings: Season wings all over with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill on medium heat. Clean the grates well and lightly brush the grates with olive oil. Evenly disperse the wings on the grates and grill for 12-15 minutes, flipping as needed until golden brown and the meat is white and fully cooked through. Use a digital thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reads 165°F. See note below on baking wings.
- Remove the wings from the grill and place them on a plate. Generously baste all over with honey garlic sauce and top with green onions. Serve immediately.
If you don’t have access to a grill, you can simply bake the wings in the oven. Bake wings on a large baking sheet at 400°F for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Serving Size: 3 wings
Keywords: chicken wing recipes, honey garlic wings, grilled chicken wings
Leave a Comment