Fire up a round of spicy jalapeno margaritas! If you’re a tequila lover and you like spicy food—then this spicy margarita recipe will not disappoint. This is a classic margarita recipe, made with honey syrup in place of simple syrup (sugar) and elderflower liquor in place of triple sec. It’s garnished and shaken with fresh jalapeno slices for an instant kick of spice.
How to Make a Spicy Margarita
If you simply use jalapeno as a garnish alone, the overall spice will be subtle and the jalapenos will slowly add heat to the drink as you sip it. If you prefer more pronounced heat (LIKE ME), shake the jalapenos slices with the cocktails in the shaker to fully infuse the cocktail with more jalapeno spice.
How to Make Jalapeno-Infused Tequila
Now, if you’re addicted to spicy tequila and want to make your own homemade infused jalapeno tequila (ME), you can soak 4-5 jalapeno slices (or more) in a fifth of tequila overnight. Taste in the morning and steep longer if you prefer hotter. Be sure to remove all the jalapeno before storing long term. The jalapeno won’t hold up forever in the tequila.
Test Your Jalapenos
A quick note, not all jalapenos are created equal. Some are duds and some are hotter. I recommend you pick up 2-3 jalapenos and try a small bite to gauge the heat before you burn your house down or are left wondering why you just taste vegetables in your margarita.
You’ll Also Love
- Classic margarita
- Watermelon margarita
- Grapefruit margarita
- Grand Marnier margarita
- El Chipilo cocktail
- Reposado margarita
A spicy spin on the classic margarita made with elderflower, honey, and fresh jalepeño.
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1/2–3/4 ounce honey syrup (or simple syrup)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce elderflower liquor
- 1–2 slices jalapeno
- For the salted rim, take a lime wedge and coat the rim of a double old fashioned glass. Dip in margarita salt, rotating until coated.
- Combine 1 tablespoon honey and a tablespoon of hot water in a cup. Stir until honey is fully dissolved. Measure out 1/2-3/4 ounce.
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Add a cup of ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Pour straight into the old fashioned glass with the (now crushed) ice from the shaker.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or jalapeno slice.
For less heat, don’t shake the jalapeno into the cocktail, only add as garnish and stir.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: spicy margarita, jalapeno infused margarita