This post is sponsored by Barrel House Z.
If you’re reading this, I’ve lied to you already…sort of. With football season just around the corner, it’s time to grill up your favorite tailgating chicken wings. One of my favorite local Boston area breweries recently approached me about collaborating on a tequila lime chicken recipe using their very own beer.
We settled on grilled tequila lime chicken wings, but with a very interesting twist. The recipe doesn’t directly contain tequila, but instead, one of their most popular brews aged in tequila barrels.
Barrel House Z’s Sunny & 79° Ginned Pilsner is aged for 1 month in tequila barrels, soaking up the spicy and natural fruity notes of tequila. I’ve tried the same pilsner without the barrel aging, and it’s amazing how much it changes the complexity and flavor of the beer.
Tequila Lime Chicken
I cannot think of a more perfect twist on tequila lime chicken. The medium-bodied, pilsner perfectly compliments the fresh lime juice, cilantro, tequila, and spices, and serves at the perfect base ingredient for a mild and tangy grilled wing.
I Don’t Have Access to This Beer
Use a cup of your favorite pilsner or pale ale instead and add 1/4 cup of tequila to the recipe. Follow the recipe below accordingly otherwise, marinating accordingly. At the end of the day, you can still make tequila lime chicken. What’s better than chicken and beer together?
If you’re from Massachusetts or Rhode Island you can find BHZ on tap or in 4 packs here. If you’re local I highly recommend you swing down to Weymouth, MA and grab a pint at their brewery. Pick up some extra Sunny & 79° and get to grilling these wings.
Grilling wings is easy. They’re best cooked on medium heat while rotating in the same direction until all sides are nicely crisped and golden. When I’m cooking chicken with precious skin, I like to oil the grill’s grates with olive oil to prevent the skin from sticking and ripping off.
It makes the whole process easier and cleaner.
You’ll Also LovePrint
Grilled tequila lime chicken wings made with beer, tequila, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and spices. The perfect mild and tangy chicken wing.
- 24 chicken wings (wingette and drumette separated)
- 1 1/2 cups bhz sunny & 79° ginned pilsner or pilsner/pale ale + 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 limes, juice squeezed, plus additional lime wedges for serving
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a lidded plastic container or large plastic zip lock bag. Let wings marinate refrigerated for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Heat up the grill on medium heat. Once hot, lightly brush the grates with olive oil. Evenly disperse the wings on the grates and grill for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown and meat is white and fully cooked through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper and extra lime juice just before serving. Serve with extra lime wedges if desired.
If you don’t have access to BHZ beer, you can substitute with 1 1/2 cups light pilsner/pale ale and add a 1/4 cup of tequila.
- Serving Size: 3 wings
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Cholesterol: 64mg