Chicken has never been a favorite of mine. I don’t know if I’m scarred for life from my parents feeding me BOILED chicken growing up or if it’s just not in my culinary DNA (the thought still makes me shudder). I’m trying to find new flavorful ways to add more chicken into my repertoire. Cilantro lime chicken is a giant leap in the right direction.
The only way I really like plain chicken is if it’s grilled or barbecued. I love the slightly charred texture of grilled chicken. It nullifies that plain chicken taste I can’t stand. But how do we get around grilling marinated chicken if we forget or don’t have time to actually marinade the chicken? Easy, we sear it in a cast iron skillet within a marinade that will offer a nice thick, caramelized finish.
I love the cilantro lime combo.
Cilantro lime chicken is a sweet and zesty dinner that tastes as if it’s been marinated for hours and grilled to perfection. The marinade consist of honey, cilantro, lime, garlic, and cumin. The honey will add a sweet caramelized glaze, similar to your classic barbecued chicken. The difference is, the lime, cilantro, and cumin will offer a more exotic twist.
I’ve been meaning to try chicken thighs for quite some time. Chicken thighs are more tender than your typical chicken breast. The meat is most comparable to the chicken wing or drumstick. Make sure you always get boneless—but try experimenting with skinless versus skin on. The skinless thighs are going to be a little healthier, but less flavorful.
And remember…don’t feed your kids or loved ones boiled chicken—they may never forgive you.
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for searing
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice (or juice of 2 limes)
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine cilantro lime sauce ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet on medium heat. Once warm, add the chicken and sear for about 5-7 minutes. Flip and sear for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cilantro lime sauce, Let sauce simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the chicken in the sauce until well coated. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired and serve.
Adapted from: The Recipe Critic