BUFFALO CHICKEN. Need I say more? I think I’ve successfully subjected my entire family to buffalo chicken rangoons at this point. I have forced buffalo chicken upon everyone, whether they like it or not. Family gatherings, Super Bowls, and vacations. The good news is everyone has liked it — even the skeptics.
Buffalo chicken rangoons or buffalo chicken wontons are growing in popularity. I’m seeing them emerge on menus in restaurants everywhere. They are a spicy, buffalo chicken variation of the American-Chinese classic, crab rangoon. It’s essentially a simple buffalo chicken dip, stuffed into a traditional wonton.
Buffalo Chicken Filling
To make the buffalo chicken filling, I use cream cheese, shredded chicken, and plenty of buffalo sauce (I like Frank’s Buffalo Wings sauce).
Boiled shredded/pulled chicken works the best and pulls apart easily with a fork. Combine with the cream cheese and buffalo sauce until you have a thick and creamy paste, resembling buffalo chicken dip.
Folding The Rangoons
Rangoons aren’t difficult to make. Place a wonton on a flat surface and spoon a heaping tablespoon of buffalo chicken filling in the center. Wet the four edges with water and fold over into a triangle, pinching the edges to seal the wonton wrapper together, forming a simple triangular rangoon. You can get fancy with this, but I prefer to keep it simple for ease.
Deep Frying Rangoons
Deep-fry finished wontons in 2-3 inches of canola/vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot for about 15-20 seconds. They will turn golden very quickly and continue to brown even after they are taken out of the oil. Test a few at first and keep a close eye on how quickly they cook. The oil will continue to get hotter as you cook.
You absolutely want to prepare all of the rangoons at once before frying. I like to fry in batches of 5-6 at a time and transfer to a paper towel to drain and cool.
Can I Freeze These?
Yes, you can! You can fully prep and freeze raw/unfried for best results. Take them out of the freezer and let them thaw/soften a bit on the counter before frying. They should cook at the same rate as freshly made.
Buffalo chicken rangoons are the perfect app for a party or big game. Serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing if you want, however, I don’t think it’s necessary. The cream cheese serves as the perfect buffer to the hot buffalo sauce.
You’ll Also Love
- Crab rangoons
- Buffalo chicken dip
- Honey buffalo wings
- Buffalo chicken mac and cheese
- Buffalo chicken calzone
- Buffalo chicken pizza
A twist on the classic crab rangoon. Buffalo sauce, shredded chicken, and cream cheese, fried together in a wonton for the perfect golden buffalo chicken wonton.
- 1 boneless chicken breast, fully cooked and shredded
- 12-ounce package wonton wraps
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (not hot sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable/canola oil for frying (24-48 ounces depending on volume and pot size)
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and add chicken. Lower to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 15-17 minutes until chicken fully cooked through. Remove and shred using a fork until fine.
- Combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix well until fully combined and creamy.
- Place a won ton on a flat surface and spoon a heaping teaspoon of buffalo chicken filling in the center. Using your finger, wet all four edges of the won ton with water and fold over into a triangle, pinching the edges to seal the rangoon together.
- Fill a large dutch oven with 1-2 inches of canola or vegetable oil and place on high heat until roughly 360 °F. Once hot, place 5-6 rangoons in the dutch oven at a time, and fry until golden. About 20-30 seconds per rangoon, flipping if necessary to ensure even cooking. They will cook fast so be sure to monitor. The edges will burn quickly.
- Place on a paper towel and allow to slightly cool before serving.
- Serving Size: 3 rangoons
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 629mg
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 20.1g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
Keywords: buffalo chicken rangoons, buffalo chicken won tons