Skillet sweet and spicy chicken thighs are inspired by a HelloFresh dinner Patty and I made last month. Sweet, spicy, and tangy, is brought to you by honey, Sriracha, and fresh lime juice. It’s super easy to make and can be made in a single cast iron skillet or pan.
This recipe calls for pretty ordinary pantry ingredients except for maybe the sesame oil. It’s a common oil often used in Asian-inspired cuisine. I recommend you get a bottle and you’ll find you’ll put it to good use.
My favorite blog for Asian-inspired food is hands-down, Damn Delicious. Chungah has lots of your favorite Chinese and Japanese takeout recipes that can be easily made at home (and just as good, if not better than takeout if I might add).
Cooking Chicken Thighs in Cast Iron
A cast iron skillet is perfect for searing chicken and achieving that grill-like finish. You can’t quite get the same golden exterior in a traditional non-stick pan.
Take it a step further by coating the chicken in corn starch before searing in the skillet. It gives the chicken the perfect golden/textured crust. Not like a thick breaded coating, but a slightly textured exterior that really soaks up the sweet and spicy sauce.
You can easily adjust the temperature of the sauce by adding extra Sriracha to make it more spicy if you want some extra heat. If you make it as is, it’s pretty mild and balanced with the honey and lime juice.
Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds and you’ve got yourself a simple, takeout worthy Korean-inspired dinner. Sweet and spicy chicken thighs are best served over white rice or quinoa. OR, if you really want to do it up, you can serve with my simple fried rice.Print
- 4–5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- 1–2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Sweet & Spicy Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (add more if you’d like it more spicy)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 a lime, juice squeezed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- black pepper, to taste
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Whisk together all sweet and spicy sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Dredge chicken thighs in corn starch until lightly coated on all sides.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until fully cooked through, about 6-7 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate. Turn the burner down to low heat and wait 30 seconds for the pan to cool. Add the sweet and spicy sauce to the skillet, whisking so it does not burn. Simmer until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, turning in the sauce to fully coat. Let simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes. Serve over white rice or quinoa.