Chicken has never been a favorite of mine. I don’t know if I’m scarred from my parents feeding me BOILED chicken growing up, or if it’s just not in my culinary DNA. I’m trying to find new flavorful ways to add more chicken into my repertoire. Cilantro lime chicken is a giant leap in the right direction.
The only way I really like plain chicken is if it’s grilled or barbecued. I love the slightly charred and caramelized taste and texture of grilled chicken. It nullifies that plain chicken taste I just can’t stand.
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in Cast Iron
Cilantro lime chicken is a sweet and savory chicken that tastes as if it’s grilled to perfection. But how do we get around grilling marinated chicken if we forget to marinate overnight or don’t have time? Easy, we sear it in a cast iron skillet with a sauce that will instantly caramelize into a sticky glaze. I typically cook for about 7-8 minutes per side on medium heat.
It helps to unfold the chicken thighs so they lie flat in the skillet. They will cook much quicker this way. Typically packaged chicken thighs are slightly rolled into a more circular shape.
Cilantro Lime Marinade
The marinade consists of honey, cilantro, fresh lime juice, garlic, and cumin. The honey will add a sweet sticky glaze as the sauce reduces, similar to your classic barbecued chicken, while the lime, cilantro, and cumin will add a citrusy twist.
Chicken thighs are more tender than your typical chicken breast. The dark meat is most comparable to the chicken wing or drumstick. Make sure you always get boneless—but try experimenting with skinless versus skin on. The skinless thighs are going to be a little healthier, but less flavorful.
And remember…don’t feed your kids or loved ones boiled chicken—they may never forgive you.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes You’ll LovePrint
Boneless cilantro lime chicken thighs seared in a cast iron skillet and then sauteed in a honey-based cilantro and lime marinade.
- 4–6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for searing
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice (or juice of 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine cilantro lime sauce ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet on medium heat. Once warm, add the chicken and sear for about 6-8 minutes. Flip and sear for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Add the cilantro lime sauce, Let sauce simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the chicken in the sauce until well coated. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired and serve.
Keywords: cilantro lime chicken thighs, cast iron chicken thighs, chicken recipes
Adapted from: The Recipe Critic